Liam Gallagher is a singer-songwriter of considerable renown in the UK and beyond. He is known for his distinctive singing voice and brash, outspoken personality. Here are eight secrets about this British icon you may not know:
1. Gallagher’s first performance was at a wedding when he was just five years old.
When he was five years old, Gallagher was asked to sing at a wedding. He sang “My Sweet Lord” by George Harrison, and it made such an impression that he quickly became known as the local singing sensation.
2. His early influences were classic British rock bands like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and The Who.
Gallagher’s musical career began in earnest when he was inspired by classic British rock bands of the 60s and 70s. He was initially influenced by the likes of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and The Who before eventually forming his own band, Oasis.
3. He formed Oasis with his older brother Noel Gallagher in 1991.
In 1991 Liam joined forces with his older brother Noel to form Oasis – one of the most successful British bands ever. Over the next 10 years, Oasis released seven studio albums and sold over 75 million records world-wide.
4. Gallagher is an avid football fan and supports both Manchester City and his hometown team, Manchester United.
Gallagher is a passionate supporter of both Manchester City and his hometown team, Manchester United. He’s often spotted wearing a Man Utd scarf at their matches, and he has been vocal in his support for both teams over the years.
5. In 2005 Gallagher was named ‘Godlike Genius’ by NME magazine.
In 2005 Liam was given one of music’s highest honours – being recognized as a ‘Godlike Genius’ by iconic magazine NME. He was presented with the award at their annual awards ceremony in London, and it cemented his status as one of Britain’s most influential musicians.
6. His solo career has seen him win numerous accolades, including a Brit Award for ‘Best British Male Solo Artist’ in 2018.
Since embarking on a solo career in 2017, Gallagher has won multiple awards for his music. In 2018 he won the BRIT Award for ‘Best British Male Solo Artist’, firmly establishing himself as one of the UK’s leading singers and songwriters.
7. Liam is an outspoken environmentalist and supports Greenpeace campaigns globally.
Gallagher is a passionate environmentalist who supports Greenpeace campaigns across the world. He frequently speaks out about the importance of protecting our planet, and his commitment to sustainable living has earned him awards from organizations such as The Natural Resources Defense Council.
8. He is an avid collector of vintage guitars and amps.
Gallagher has amassed a large collection of vintage guitars and amplifiers over the years. His prized possessions include a 1950s Fender Telecaster, a vintage Gibson Les Paul, and a Marshall JCM 800 amp, which he uses on stage during live performances.
From humble beginnings at just five years old to becoming one of Britain’s most successful singers and songwriters, Liam Gallagher’s career is full of secrets that even some of his biggest fans may be unaware of. With his distinctive voice, brash personality and commitment to the environment, Gallagher is sure to be an icon of British music for many more years to come.