Boston Celtics fans have witnessed some of the most thrilling, nail-biting games in recent NBA history. From last-second buzzer beaters to incredible full-game comebacks, the Celtics have had some truly memorable matches. Here are ten of the most dramatic Boston Celtics games that will live on in basketball lore:
1. The 2004 Eastern Conference Semifinals Game 3 between the Celtics and Indiana Pacers was one of the greatest comebacks in sports history. Trailing by as much as 26 points at one point, the Celtics rallied back and won 97–92 with a last-minute three pointer from Paul Pierce – giving them a 2–1 lead in the series.
2. In 2009, Ray Allen hit an improbable running three-pointer with two seconds left in the fourth quarter to send Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals against the Orlando Magic into overtime. The Celtics would go on to win the game and tie up the series at one game apiece.
3. In a 2007 first-round playoff matchup against the Atlanta Hawks, Kevin Garnett hit an incredible buzzer beater from beyond half court that gave the Celtics a 99–97 victory.
4. During Game 6 of their 2008 NBA Finals match against the Los Angeles Lakers, Boston was trailing by 24 points at halftime before mounting an inspiring comeback in the second half to force overtime and eventually take home their seventeenth championship title.
5. In 2013, Paul Pierce hit a miraculous buzzer beater in Game 3 of the first-round playoff series against the New York Knicks, giving the Celtics an 87–86 win and a 2–1 lead.
6. During the 2012 Eastern Conference Finals against the Miami Heat, Paul Pierce drained a clutch three pointer with eight seconds left to give Boston a 93–91 lead that they would not relinquish.
7. The 2008 Eastern Conference Semifinals Game 7 between the Celtics and Cleveland Cavaliers saw one of the most exciting fourth quarters in basketball history as Boston edged out their rival 97–92 to advance to their first NBA Finals since 1987.
8. With 9.3 seconds remaining in Game 4 of their 2010 Eastern Conference Semifinals series against the Cavaliers, Rajon Rondo made a miraculous shot from the corner to tie the game up and send it into overtime. The Celtics would eventually win in double OT 96–89 to take a 3–1 lead in the series.
9. During Game 6 of their 2012 Eastern Conference Semifinals matchup against Philadelphia 76ers, Kevin Garnett hit a buzzer beating jump shot that gave Boston an 85–75 victory and pushed them into the next round.
10. In another extraordinary display of resilience during Game 5 of their 2010 first-round playoff matchup against Miami Heat, the Celtics overcame a 15 point deficit at halftime to pull off an incredible 97–87 victory and take a 3–2 series lead.
These ten matches are just some of the most dramatic games that Boston Celtics fans have enjoyed over the years, and will continue to be remembered for generations to come. The history of this storied franchise is filled with remarkable moments that will be talked about for decades. As long as basketball continues to be played, these great matches between the Celtics and their opponents will live on in infamy.