Doc Rivers is a well-known basketball coach and former NBA player who currently serves as the head coach of the Philadelphia 76ers. He has coached some of the biggest teams in history, including championship-winning lineups with both the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Clippers. Here are 10 secrets about Doc Rivers that his fans may not know:
1. Doc Rivers was a standout baseball player while he attended Marquette University and even received offers to be drafted by professional teams. However, he decided to go after his dream of playing professional basketball instead.
2. Although he retired from playing in 1996, Rivers still holds many records for assists and steals among retired players in the NBA.
3. While running an NBA team, Doc Rivera also runs a charity and foundation called the Doc Rivers Foundation. This organization provides educational resources, sports opportunities, and other support to underserved youth.
4. He values family above all else and has even had his sons play on his teams in the past – Austin Rivers played for the Clippers while Jeremiah was formerly with the Boston Celtics.
5. Despite being an incredibly successful coach, Rivers still finds time to enjoy some of his favorite hobbies including golfing, fishing, and hiking.
6. The 76ers awarded him a 5-year $50 million contract in 2019, making him one of the highest paid coaches in NBA history at that time.
7. As a part of his work as head coach for Team USA during the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup, Rivers was given a lifetime membership to the National Basketball Coaches Association.
8. He had a very successful career as an NBA player, being named an All-Star three times, and winning two consecutive Coach of the Year awards in 2000 and 2001 with the Orlando Magic.
9. In addition to his time spent coaching basketball teams, Rivers also co-hosted a weekly radio show called “The Doc and Buddy Show” on ESPN Radio in 2004 – 2005 alongside fellow ESPN analyst Buddy Elrod.
10. During the 2020 pandemic season, he led his team to finish first in their conference despite many unexpected issues such as players testing positive for Covid-19.
Rivers’ hard work, dedication to the game of basketball, and commitment to his family have all contributed to making him one of the most successful and highly respected coaches in NBA history. His secrets highlight just how multifaceted he is and why he has achieved so much throughout his career. Whether it’s on or off the court, Doc Rivers continues to prove that he will always be a leader in the world of sports.