James Cameron is an American film director, producer and screenwriter who has had a long career of creating some of the most iconic movies in Hollywood. He is known for his blockbuster hits such as Avatar (2009), Titanic (1997) and The Terminator (1984). Here are 10 secrets about James Cameron that you may not have heard before:
1. James Cameron was born in Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada. He moved to the United States when he was 17 and he later became a naturalized citizen of the United States.
2. Cameron is an avid explorer of the ocean depths, having dived to the wreck of Titanic three times and also reaching the deepest point on Earth: the Mariana Trench in 2012.
3. Cameron was the first person to film a 3D movie in space with IMAX cameras, when he directed and starred in Ghosts of the Abyss (2003).
4. James Cameron has earned two Oscars for Best Director: one for Titanic (1997) and another for Avatar (2009). He is also the only director to have won the award twice.
5. Cameron has written 15 films, directed six and produced 10. He is also credited as an executive producer for four projects.
6. In 1989, James Cameron founded Digital Domain, an Academy Award-winning visual effects company that has worked on hundreds of movies including Avatar (2009) and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End (2007).
7. Cameron is a pioneer of the ‘found footage’ genre, creating some of the first found footage films such as The Abyss (1989) and Aliens (1986).
8. James Cameron has been an advocate for environmental protection and sustainability since creating a short documentary about global warming in 1991 called ‘The Last Place on Earth’.
9. Cameron is a passionate philanthropist, donating to many charities such as The Global Fund For Women and the International Campaign for Tibet.
10. Finally, he is also an avid Star Trek fan and was once offered the opportunity to direct one of the movies in the series, but declined the offer.
James Cameron is a legendary filmmaker who has changed Hollywood with his unique style and vision. With these 10 interesting facts about him, you can get to know more about him and appreciate his work even more!
Thanks for reading!