Ken Paxton is an American attorney and politician who currently serves as the Attorney General of Texas. Despite being a public figure, there are still a few secrets about him that are not commonly known. In this article, we will delve into the top 10 secrets about Ken Paxton and reveal some interesting facts and details.
1. He has been involved in controversial securities practices: Paxton has been accused of breaking securities laws by soliciting investors for a technology firm called Servergy without disclosing that he received commissions for the sales. He was fined $1,000 by the Texas Securities Board in 2014 for this violation.
2. He has a history of conflict with the State Bar of Texas: Paxton’s license to practice law was suspended for one month in 2015 due to a failure to disclose legal work he performed in 2012. He was also reprimanded by the State Bar of Texas in 2014 for failing to diligently communicate with a client and failing to refund unearned fees.
3. He is a strong supporter of gun rights: Paxton has been a vocal advocate for gun ownership and has strongly opposed any attempts to restrict Second Amendment rights. In 2015, he issued an opinion stating that licensed gun owners could carry their firearms in plain view in public places.
4. He is a climate change skeptic: Paxton has been criticized for his skepticism on climate change and his opposition to environmental regulations. In 2016, he led a coalition of states that challenged the Obama administration’s Clean Power Plan, which aimed to cut carbon emissions from power plants.
5. He has faced corruption allegations: Paxton has been accused of using his office for personal gain by several whistleblowers. In 2018, four of his former top aides sent a letter to federal investigators alleging that he was doing favors for a wealthy donor in exchange for financial benefits.
6. He supports anti-abortion laws: Paxton has been a supporter of laws that restrict access to abortion in Texas. In 2020, he defended a state law that banned abortions after six weeks of pregnancy, which was later struck down by a federal court.
7. He has received significant financial support from wealthy donors: Paxton has received millions of dollars in campaign contributions from wealthy donors, including a $2 million donation from the CEO of a company that Paxton was accused of promoting without proper disclosures.
8. He is a strong advocate for religious freedom: Paxton has been involved in several cases defending religious freedom, including a case in which he fought to allow a Texas county clerk to refuse to issue same-sex marriage licenses based on her religious beliefs.
9. He has a history of controversial statements: Paxton has made several controversial statements over the years, including a claim that the Supreme Court’s decision legalizing gay marriage could lead to people marrying children or animals.
10. He is a strong supporter of border security: Paxton has been a vocal advocate for stronger border security and has opposed efforts to provide a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants. In 2021, he sued the Biden administration over its decision to pause deportations for some undocumented immigrants.