Lollapalooza is a four-day music festival held annually in Chicago since 2005. It features popular alternative rock, hip hop, heavy metal, punk rock and electronic music acts.
Lollapalooza has become known for its eclectic lineup of artists and performers from all types of genres, as well as its unique atmosphere that combines live entertainment with activities and attractions throughout the venue. Here are some other secrets about this popular festival:
1. Lollapalooza was originally launched in 1991 as an alternative to more mainstream festivals such as Woodstock. The event was created by Perry Farrell who wanted to create an experience that combined elements of both live shows and street fairs in order to create something truly unique.
2. Lollapalooza was originally a touring festival but due to its immense popularity, it eventually settled in Chicago in 2005 as an annual event until 2016 when it was announced that the event would become a global one-day experience with stops all over the world.
3. The first ever Lollapalooza tour featured iconic acts such as Nine Inch Nails, The Smashing Pumpkins, and Jane’s Addiction.
4. Lollapalooza has always been known for striving towards sustainability: recycling initiatives and composting efforts have been implemented since 2001 and remain an important part of the festival today.
5. Have you ever heard of Kidzapalooza? It’s a kid-friendly music festival stage that has been part of Lollapalooza since 2005. It features activities and performers adapted for children, with everything from shows to interactive activities.
6. The iconic “Lollapalooza” name was created by Farrell who combined the phrase “lollapalooza” (a slang word used in the 1920s to describe something that is extraordinary) with the familiar term “palazzo”.
7. In 2017, Lollapalooza launched its own TV channel on YouTube featuring past artist performances as well as exclusive interviews and content related to the event itself.
8. Every year, Lollapalooza gives away a Golden Ticket to one lucky fan. The ticket grants the winner access to Lollapalooza for life, as well as exclusive VIP experiences.
9. There are special areas at the festival dedicated only to art installations and sculptures, some of which have been made by renowned artists such as Banksy and Carsten Höller.
10. One of the most recent additions to the festival is Chow Town: it features a variety of delicious food from local restaurants that offer up everything from tacos to burgers and even vegan dishes.
These are just some of the secrets about this popular music festival that has become an iconic experience over the years! Whether you’re looking for live music, unique art installations or a range of tasty food options, there’s something for everyone at Lollapalooza.