Mother’s Day is celebrated around the world on various dates, from March to May. While its exact origin may be unknown, modern Mother’s Day celebrations have been traced back to the ancient Greeks and Romans. To help you learn more about this day of appreciation, here are the top 10 secrets about Mother’s Day:
1. The first official celebration of Mother’s Day was held in 1908 in West Virginia. On May 10th of that year, Anna Jarvis organized a memorial for her deceased mother at St Andrews Methodist Church in Grafton.
2. It wasn’t until 1914 that President Woodrow Wilson declared it an official national holiday on the second Sunday of May each year.
3. In some countries such as Thailand, Mexico and Ethiopia, Mother’s Day is celebrated on August 12th.
4. There are estimated to be over 2 billion mothers in the world, making it one of the largest populations on Earth.
5. The colors associated with Mother’s Day traditionally include pink and red carnations, although any type of flower can be used as a gift.
6. It was Anna Jarvis who first came up with the idea of giving cards and gifts to honor mothers on this day—a tradition which has continued ever since.
7. In some countries such as India, Cambodia and Pakistan, Mother’s Day is celebrated by honoring elders in general rather than just mothers specifically.
8. The origin of Mother’s Day is believed to have stemmed from the ancient Roman festival, Hilaria. This was a celebration in honor of Cybele, the mother goddess.
9. The US consumer spending for Mother’s Day is estimated to be over $20 billion annually.
10. Despite its official holiday status, many countries around the world do not recognize or celebrate it in any formal way.
These are just some of the interesting facts about this special day dedicated to all mothers around the world! By understanding more about its history and significance, we can appreciate why it has become an important occasion for individuals everywhere. So make sure you show your love and appreciation towards your favorite mothers on their special day!