Pokemon has been around since 1996, so it’s no wonder that there are many secrets about the beloved franchise. Here are some of the top hidden gems you might not know about:
1. Pikachu was originally going to be much larger — nearly as big as a human! The developers eventually decided that a smaller creature would be more relatable to kids and easier to animate.
2. Mewtwo is actually based on part-cat DNA, which explains why he looks like a humanoid cat monster with psychic powers.
3. Bulbasaur was created in honor of the fictional species from Alice in Wonderland — the caterpillar who smoked a hookah pipe!
4. Many Pokemon have design elements taken from real-world animals. For example, the Munchlax line is inspired by koalas, while Arcanine was based on a Japanese wolf.
5. Pikachu’s voice actor, Ikue Otani, has been voicing him since 1996! She received her first paycheck for the role when she was only 9 years old.
6. Eevee can evolve into 8 possible forms — more than any other Pokemon species in existence!
7. The popular Pokeball design didn’t come about until near the end of the creation process — it wasn’t part of the original plan for how to capture and store Pokemon.
8. Despite its beloved status as one of the most famous characters in Pokemon media, Mew has never actually appeared in any of the main video game series!
9. Despite being one of the most recognizable characters in the franchise, Ash Ketchum was originally intended to be a minor character — with the main protagonist being Red from Pokemon Red & Blue.
10. The original 151 Pokemon were inspired by both Japanese folklore and real-world creatures, such as rats and bats.
These are just a few of the many secrets that have been kept hidden since Pokemon first debuted more than two decades ago! With so much mystery still surrounding this beloved franchise, there’s no telling what other secrets may be lurking in the shadows…